What to expect & what not to expect from your wedding photographer
Every photographer is different! However, these are some key common denominators that I notice among all photographers that i’m connected with. This should help you as the Bride & Groom know what you don’t need to worry about, and what you may need to communicate to your photographer before your wedding day! Everybody will have slightly different wants & expectations, so this blog gives the photographers perspective, and then gives you as the Bride & Groom a foundation to talk to your photographer about anything else you would like or not like on your day.
Some Good Stuff
- The more you trust your photographer, the better your photographs will turn out, guaranteed.
- Your photographs are not the focal point of the day (sneaky pun), the wedding itself is. The photographs are about capturing the day, the day isn’t about capturing the photographs.
- Getting married is the best part, everything else is a bonus!
- Pinterest is really great for vibes, but not specific shots. There are so many factors that come into play for a photo to look the way it does. You do you, and embrace your day, and people will be wanting to get photograph’s like yours.
What Not To Expect
- Everyone is different, and everyone has different relationships that are significant to them. If there are any people you would especially like a photograph of, your photographer may not know which people or family members are most important to you, or any surrounding circumstances, so it’s really important to point them out.
- Your photographer is not the go-to organiser of your whole day, only the photo shoot section.
- Your photographer may not know if that is your real parent, step parent, or your parents partner, so just kindly point out your parents if you want a lot of candid shots of them.
- Your photographer is often thinking about a fair few things at once, and wants to get the best photographs for you. Being tasteful & creative is your photographers first priority, and socialising is a little lower on the list. If your photographer is being quiet and not super chatty & social, it’s because he / she is thinking about how to capture each moment in the best way possible. Fun fact; socialising & creativity operate in totally different parts of the brain. Maybe that’s why artists / painters often work alone. We are painting an artwork with the metal, glass & plastic in our hands (mine has a white canon logo on it), as well as staying connected with the people involved.
- Sometimes we don’t give consistent instructions, and let you guys stay in a moment, because we are often waiting to snap that perfect moment when it happens. The moments that occur naturally are always the best ones.
What You Can Expect
- Your photographer is wanting to capture you & your partner, looking your best, on your day. Your photographer is unlikely to want to try to recreate something from another persons wedding, as it often doesn’t work out that way as so many factors come into play (weather, location, colour of suits, dress style, time of day, time of year, wind, health of plants & scenery at the time, couples confidence in front of a camera). Being aware of these things means your photographer will want to look at all these factors and then decide how to get the best photographs possible.
- Your photographer is there to document the day, and all the major events. That ones pretty clear.
- Your photographer can find good photo shoot locations and arrange good photographs without the help of your bridal party (hehe). Often the Bride & Groom aren’t aware of what the bridal party are saying during a shoot, so it can be a good idea to let them all know before the day to just trust the photographer on the day.
- Your photographer should know what will look good and what will not. For example, if you have heard that the sun isn’t supposed to be behind the subject, and thats exactly what your photographer does, trust me, it’ll look good.
I really hope this helps! And came across in the warmest, most sincere heart. As a photographer I am completely focused on getting the best photographs possible & to embrace each wedding day 110%. I look forward to every wedding, and put my heart & soul into the work. I love being with each client for such an amazing time in their life!